Here is Angie’s previously secret recipe carrot cake, unveiled to the world at the Egg-free Cookery Demo on 3 February, 2018 in Todmorden. Shhh!
Prep time 15 mins. Cooking time 35-45 mins.
- 150ml oil (sunflower or other neutral oil)
- 15tbsp unbeaten aquafaba (chickpea water)
- 225g light muscovado sugar
- 200g grated carrots
- 300g plain flour
- 4tsp baking powder
- 1tsp allspice
- 2tsp cinnamon
- 50g sultanas
- 50g walnuts
- Two tubs of Toffuti cream cheese
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1tsp vanilla bean paste
- Pinch of Himalayan pink salt
- A handful of walnut pieces to decorate
- Preheat the oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4. Grease a deep cake tin and line with baking parchment.
- Whisk the oil, aquafaba, and sugar until the mixture is well combined, lighter, and noticeably thickened.
- Fold the carrot in, then gently stir in the flour, baking powder and spices. Once the batter is thoroughly mixed, stir in the sultanas and walnuts. Don’t overbeat or the cake won’t rise.
- Bake for 35-45 mins. Test with a skewer; if it comes out clean, it’s ready. If not, leave in a little longer and check every 5 minutes.
- Cool the cake in the tin for 10 mins, then turn out onto a cake rack.
- Mix together the frosting ingredients with an electric whisk.
- Once cool, cover the top and sides with the frosting then scatter walnut pieces on top.