- 400g of tofu
- Fine sea salt
- Garlic powder
- Some pepper
- Sushi nori sheets
- 1 bottle of beer
- 15 tbsp of any flour (or enough to make a pancake like batter)
- 3 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp of fine sea
- Dash of pepper
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- Fine breadcrumbs
- Cooking oil
- 1 lemon
- Squeeze out water from a block of tofu. This is quite important as it helps to absorb flavours better.
- Preheat the oven and bake your chips as per chips pack instructions or make your own
- Add 1 bottle of beer into a large bowl, add all other batter ingredients and whisk until you get a pancake like batter.
- Cut the tofu into 1 cm thick ‘fish pieces’. Sprinkle lemon juice on the tofu pieces and add garlic powder, some pepper and sea salt – season generously.
- Wrap into a sushi nori sheet (if the sheet is too long and goes over the sides, just cut them off). The tofu will be a bit moist so the sushi nori sheet should stick to it well.
- Add a generous amount of fine breadcrumbs to a plate.
- Dunk the tofu ‘fish’ pieces into the batter and then move to the plate with breadcrumbs and cover well on all sides.
- Fry in hot cooking oil until golden brown.
- When the ‘fish’ pieces are done transfer them to a plate that’s covered with kitchen towel to absorb some of the excess oil.
- Sprinkle some lemon juice on the ‘fish’ pieces for extra flavour and serve with chips.
Recipe Adapted from Exceedingly Vegan