Hilary demonstrated how to make Vietnamese spring rolls at the Incredible Festival of Ideas future of food event. They are very easy to make, healthy and tasty. You can experiment with different fillings as you wish.
- Rice wrappers
- Thin batons of carrot, cucumber and peppers
- Beansprouts or cooked thin rice noodles.
- Chopped coriander
- Thin strips of tofu
- Soy sauce / chilli sauce etc
Rice wrappers can be small or large, square or round and can be bought from Asian / Chinese shops or the lady selling Chinese food on Todmorden market.
Tofu should be marinated in soy sauce beforehand or cooked ’til crisp.
- Soak wrappers, one at a time, in a shallow bowl of water until just soft enough to roll.
- Put wrapper on a dry surface and place strips of tufu, veg, herbs and noodles etc in a small pile in the centre, lower half, of the wrapper.
- Roll wrapper from the bottom, folding sides in as you go and press firmly to seal at the top.
- Chill in fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Serve with a dip of choice … soy sauce, chili sauce, tahini sauce etc.
Experiment with different fillings and sauces. Better still, watch this video!!