One of the many food tasters offered for free at the 3 Valley Vegans Fair was a fully-featured vegan pizza. This one has plant-based alternative to salami, olives and mushrooms and is topped with Sheese grated plant-based cheese substitute. Now you can make it for yourself with your own favourite toppings using the recipe below.
Makes 1 thick pizza crust or 2 thin crusts.
- 2 ¼ teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tbs. olive oil
- In a bowl, combine yeast and sugar. Add 1 cup hot water and let sit 2 minutes.
- Add salt and flour, and mix with a fork until dough becomes firm.
Knead in bowl for 1 minute, then form into a soft ball.
- Pour oil into a second bowl, add dough, and roll in oil to coat.
- Allow dough to rise for 15 minutes or until doubled in size, then punch down into another ball to incorporate oil.
- For a thin crust, divide dough into two balls and press into an oiled pan. Add sauce (tomato or vegan pesto) and toppings of your choice (sliced peppers, onions, courgettes, mushrooms, olives etc )
- Top with grated / slices of vegan cheese
Bake on the middle rack of a preheated, hot oven for 20 minutes, or until crust is golden-brown.