This recipe comes courtesy of Rose Elliot, via Viva!
Approximately 55 minutes:
- 5-10 minutes preparation
- 13 minutes cooking
- 25-30 minutes baking time
Thanks to Rose Elliot, the goddess of veggie food, for the lovely recipe! This is so easy – and it frees you up to do other things while it’s baking. Serve with piles of roast potatoes, butternut squash and parsnips – plus gravy, of course!
- 4 onions, chopped
- 2 sticks of celery, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 100g/31⁄2oz button mushrooms, sliced
- 435g can unsweetened chestnut puree
- 75g/3oz soft breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp brandy
- Salt and pepper
- 375g/13oz frozen ready-rolled puff pastry sheets (Jus-RolTM and Brake Brothers brands are both vegan)
- Soya milk to glaze
- Fry the onions and celery in the oil in a large saucepan, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Add the garlic and mushrooms and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Mix in the chestnut puree, breadcrumbs, brandy and seasoning.
- Preheat the oven to 230°C/450°F/Gas Mark 8.
- Put the pastry on a baking sheet. Pile the chestnut mixture lengthways down the middle third – you may need more than one sheet of pastry.
- Make diagonal cuts 1cm/1⁄2 inch apart on the pastry on either side of the chestnut mixture.
- Fold these up alternately to make a lattice covering it.
- Trim the ends – you could make pastry leaves and stick on top with water.
- Brush with soya milk.
- Bake for 5 minutes, then reduce the heat setting to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6 and bake for a further 20-25 minutes.