A vegan BLT can be called a TLT – tofu, lettuce and tomato. Here, it is made with locally grown lettuce and tomatoes (Incredible Edible Todmorden), using locally baked bread (Saker) and mayo that was made just minutes before.
- 4 fluffy white buns/rolls/baps/etc. per person (I’m not getting into bread name politics!)
- 4 thick slices of firm bean curd/tofu (1 pack of Clear Spot Naturally Smoked Tofu)
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- lettuce, washed and roughly chopped, (or spinach)
- soy sauce
- sunflower oil
- egg-free mayo
- Vitalite or other non-dairy marg, for spreading on the bread
- Prepare the bread and slice the tomatoes.
- In a large pan, warm some oil, add the slices of tofu with some soy sauce. Gently fry both sides of the tofu for about 10-15 minutes per side. Meanwhile, add some mayo to the bread and wash and chop the greens.
- Make up the BLTs on the bread, in the order Vitalite, mayo, tofu, tomato, lettuce, more mayo. Serve immediately.
Recipe from Impressive Food blog