Here is Angie’s previously secret recipe carrot cake, unveiled to the world at the Egg-free Cookery Demo on 3 February, 2018 in Todmorden. Shhh!
Prep time 15 mins. Cooking time 35-45 mins.
- 150ml oil (sunflower or other neutral oil)
- 15tbsp unbeaten aquafaba (chickpea water)
- 225g light muscovado sugar
- 200g grated carrots
- 300g plain flour
- 4tsp baking powder
- 1tsp allspice
- 2tsp cinnamon
- 50g sultanas
- 50g walnuts
- Two tubs of Toffuti cream cheese
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1tsp vanilla bean paste
- Pinch of Himalayan pink salt
- A handful of walnut pieces to decorate
- Preheat the oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4. Grease a deep cake tin and line with baking parchment.
- Whisk the oil, aquafaba, and sugar until the mixture is well combined, lighter, and noticeably thickened.
- Fold the carrot in, then gently stir in the flour, baking powder and spices. Once the batter is thoroughly mixed, stir in the sultanas and walnuts. Don’t overbeat or the cake won’t rise.
- Bake for 35-45 mins. Test with a skewer; if it comes out clean, it’s ready. If not, leave in a little longer and check every 5 minutes.
- Cool the cake in the tin for 10 mins, then turn out onto a cake rack.
- Mix together the frosting ingredients with an electric whisk.
- Once cool, cover the top and sides with the frosting then scatter walnut pieces on top.
- 6oz (180g) vegan margarine
- 1 tbsp golden syrup
- 8oz (225g) rolled oats
- 1 tub Tofutti vegan “cream cheese” (plain)
- 9 oz (250g) tofu (cubed)
- 1 block creamed coconut (cubed)
- 2½oz (70g) vegan margarine
- 3 fl oz (85ml) coconut milk
- 3oz (85g) sugar
- Juice of 1-2 lemons
- Desiccated coconut
- Grated lemon rind of unwaxed lemon
- Base: Melt margarine and golden syrup in a pan over a low heat. Remove from heat and stir in the oats.
- Pour into a flan dish and press down well; place in the fridge.
- Topping: Blend all the topping ingredients together in a food processor until smooth.
- Place the topping into the flan dish on top of the base, smooth down. Decorate with desiccated coconut and lemon rind.
- Put in the fridge for a few hours until set.
(From The Vegan Approach to Cooking)
These chocolate brownies are mega popular at 3 Valley Veg*ns events, and everyone wants to know how to make them. They are REALLY easy!
- 250g plain flour
- 150g demerara sugar
- 150g white caster sugar
- 65g plain cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 280ml water
- 220ml sunflower oil (or other veg oil)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 180 deg C / Gas mark 4.
- Take a large bowl and add the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt. Stir them together.
- Pour in the water, oil and vanilla. Mix well until blended with no lumps.
- Pour into a 23x33cm (9×13 in) greased baking tin.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes in the preheated oven, until the top is no longer shiny. Let cool for at least 10 minutes before cutting into squares.
- 270g plain flour
- 50g cornflour
- 300g sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla bean paste or 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 300ml soya milk or other non-dairy milk
- 5 tbsp veg oil
- 1tsp bicarb
- 2tsp baking powder
- 2tsp lemon juice
Sieve and combine the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl. Combine the wet ingredients in a separate jug. Whisk lightly – the milk mixture will thicken slightly when you add the lemon juice. Pour into the dry ingredients, stir lightly until well mixed (don’t over-mix). Pour into sandwich tins and bake at 175deg until golden brown.
When cool, sandwich together with good jam and vegan buttercream